Tag as an organized sport is a thing and it is incredible – For The Win
Hey, remember tag? That game you probably played in grade school? Tag was always cool and fun.
But did you know tag is a sport now?
Thanks to Reddit, I now know it is. Here are some highlights that popped up this week from an event in London:
It’s basically a combination of tag as we know it and Parkour. And that makes it thrilling, between athletes leaping over stuff and leaving their feet to slap each other on the back, which adds a little sprinkle of danger to the equation.
It isn’t just a one-on-one sport, apparently. There are team and multplayer events. Via the league’s site, here are some of the rules of the multiplayer version:
- There are four athletes in each match.
- Matches consist of 4x 40-second rounds.
- Each round begins with a different athlete on Tag
- The athlete with the lowest Accumulated Tag-Time wins.
- If an athlete steps out of bounds, they are considered ‘Tagged’.
- Tags must be above the waist and below the neck.