CBS Sports 130 college football rankings: Clemson ties Alabama at the top as No. 1 – CBSSports.com
The comprehensive college football ranking of all FBS teams, now known as the CBS Sports 130, has been running for a few years. Ballots of CBS Sports and 247Sports writers have provided us with a full view of the sport’s landscape beyond the reach of the weekly top 25 polls.
Never in that time has there been a tie for No. 1 … until now. Though we’ve had different No. 1 teams from the other polls and plenty of tightly contested weeks that indicate a split decision among our experts, there has never been a mathematical tie at the top until now.
Clemson, with its win at Louisville, earned enough No. 1 points from our voters to chase down Alabama for the first T1 in the history of the CBS Sports 130. As Dennis Dodd wrote Saturday night, we’re only three weeks into the season, and it already seems like.
College football experts from CBS Sports and 247Sports contribute ballots each week, which are averaged together for our rankings. You can see the top-25 below, and 26-130 on our rankings page.
- Vanderbilt (+30): The Commodores have packed a ton of excitement for this week’s SEC on CBS Game of the Week against Alabama with their home victory against Kansas State under the lights on Saturday.
- San Diego State (+26): The lights went out in the building and may have gone out on Stanford, but the lights came on for the nation paying attention to running back Rashaad Penny. While Donnel Pumphrey was running for 2,000 yards last season, Penny was building up to this moment with a 1,000-yard season.
- Mississippi State (+20): After a couple of close losses to LSU, Mississippi State blew the doors off the Tigers. We’ll see if the Bulldogs are in fact one of the top four or five teams in the SEC this week against Georgia, but right now, this is looking like another special year in Starkville.
- Louisville (-8): A loss the to the team that several of our voters consider the best in the country doesn’t dock you too may points, but with other teams moving up, the Cardinal took a noticeable step back in the pecking order.
- LSU (-19): Ranked last week at No. 11, LSU fell all the way to No. 30 after the loss to Mississippi State.
- Stanford (-22): Two straight losses have Stanford tumbling in our rankings, now all the way down at No. 39 following the upset loss at San Diego State.
Check out the rest of the CBS Sports 130: Teams ranked 26-130
Note: A technical issue prevents us from listing Alabama and Clemson as T1 on our rankings page. Therefore, on that page only, the Tide come in at No. 1 and Clemson at No. 2 as the former received more first-place votes.