RELATED: Keselowski on pole for Michigan
Toyota drivers already have replied on Twitter to Brad Keselowski, who suggested that Toyota teams had intentionally ratcheted back their collective push of the performance envelope this weekend at Michigan.
Two hours before the Pure Michigan 400, 2015 series champion Kyle Busch replied in full to Kenny Wallace on FS1’s pre-race show.
“That’s just Brad being Brad, I guess,” Busch said, who noted that Fords were faster than Toyota cars earlier this season. “We weren’t complaining,” Busch added. “We just put our heads down and went to work. Those guys just want to complain about it (instead of) going back to work and (getting) faster.”
Keselowski will start Sunday’s race from the Coors Light Pole position, and he led a 1-2-3 sweep of Fords in Friday’s qualifying. Joey Logano will start second and Ryan Blaney qualified third.
Toyota had won the last five pole positions in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series before Keselowski interrupted that streak. In his post-qualifying news conference, the Team Penske driver intimated that the likelihood of rigorous technical inspections loomed after Michigan, the last track of its size before the postseason.
“About this time every year NASCAR takes all the cars to kind of check to make sure that the competitive balance is where they want it to be, and I think we’ve seen the last two or three weeks that the Toyota cars are pretty dominant,” Keselowski said. “We had a strong suspicion that those guys would kind of tune it down this weekend, so not to post a pretty big number in inspection that maybe balanced back out the competition, and potentially that’s right because our team hasn’t done much differently and those guys are just not as fast as they’ve been the last few weeks.
“So we’ll know for certain at the end of the week based on whether NASCAR takes the cars after the race today.”